Congrats!! You just welcomed your bundle of joy to the world and booked a newborn session! Wondering what to expect? Newborn Portrait Sessions are very casual and calm, but it never hurts to think ahead and be prepared for your newborn session. Being proactive about preparing for your Newborn Session will help get the best photos of your infant. Here are some helpful tips to make sure our time together goes as smooth as possible.
I photograph primarily journalistic/lifestyle images during a newborn session and oftentimes sessions take place in your home. Doing a newborn session in your home the most comfortable location for both you to interact with your new baby and I will capture moments as they unfold naturally. My best advice is to relax and know that the session is really all about your baby and your love for them. I photograph primarily journalistic/lifestyle images during a newborn session and oftentimes sessions will take place in your home. Doing a newborn session in your home, is the most comfortable location for both you to interact with your new baby naturally and I will capture moments as they unfold.
- Please open all of the blinds and/or curtains in your home prior to our arrival so that I can scope out the best spots for photos upon arrival. Soft natural light is the ultimate best for photos and I prefer to use it whenever possible. This is why in-home newborn sessions are preferably scheduled during the morning to late afternoon when natural window lighting is usually the best. Do not fret if your home is not the brightest, I will bring additional lighting equipment just in case.
- Use a lukewarm washcloth to clean away flaky skin and eye boogers.
- Trim those tiny but scratchy & sharp fingernails and toenails with baby trimmers.
- Try to schedule your session around your baby’s feeding and nap times and work within your baby’s timetable. A great time to for photos is right after feeding.
- Dress up paper diapers with bloomers or decorative diaper covers. Solids or minimal patterns are preferred.
- Gather your favorite blankets for the session. Try to pick solids or patterns that give personality. Try to stay away from cartoons or heaviliy logoed elements that would detour the attension from the baby. I will bring some blankets and textures for the session as well.
- A great addition to your newborn portraits is to include items that mean something special to your baby, such as a stuffed animal from grandma or a baby blanket from your childhood.
- If your baby needs a pacifier, feel free to bring it along or if you need to feed your baby, no worries. We will simply pause the session and you can feed your baby.
- Please do not worry if your home is a bit cluttered. With a new baby in your life, keeping your home perfectly tidy may be difficult. I can help remove any excess clutter that is in the frame or area that we choose to take photos.
- Turn up the heat! It is recommended to have your home a little warmer than normal. For us adults, it may seem a bit uncomfortable, but for the baby, it will help keep them happy and keep their skin from being reddish/splotchy from being too chilly.
- Keep it normal! If you usually have music or the television on, feel free to have it on for the session. If you sing to your baby, feel free to do so! Do not alter your space or your normal interactions with your baby just because I am present.
- Enjoy yourself!
I hope these tips help you understand what to expect from a newborn session with me and can help you prepare for your newborn session.