One of the most popular questions I get is, “What to wear for a maternity photoshoot?” So, today I am putting out ideas to help you feel and look absolutely stunning for your maternity photoshoot.
When it comes to choosing what to wear for your maternity photoshoot, you want to choose something that makes you feel comfortable and beautiful.
You also want to choose something that will photograph well.
In this blog post, we will discuss the best clothes to wear for a studio maternity session, as well as some tips on how to style these outfits.
Maternity sessions are all about celebrating your pregnant body, so you want to choose clothes that show off your baby bump and make you feel absolutely stunning.
In this blog post, we will talk about:
- How many outfits to bring to your in-studio maternity session.
- The best colors for a maternity photo shoot in the studio.
- The different styles of outfits you can choose from.
- Where to shop for maternity photoshoot outfits.
- What your partner and/or children should wear if they’re coming to the maternity photo session.
- Finishing touches and tips to prepare you for your maternity session.
The Best Clothes to Wear for a Studio Maternity Session
How many outfits should you bring to your maternity photoshoot?
I recommend bringing 2 to 3 outfits to your studio maternity shoot. This will provide some variety to the end gallery of shots, and it allows you to mix and match styles if you wish.
For example, you could opt for one casual outfit, one more formal maternity dress, and a third outfit where you just wear lingerie or lingerie plus a shirt.
Alternatively, you may prefer to stick with one style and wear two formal dresses. What you wear for your maternity pictures is entirely up to you!
What Kind Of Outfits Work Well For Studio Maternity Photos?
It’s critical to choose an outfit that emphasizes the beauty of your bump during your maternity photoshoot. The camera tends to overemphasize fabric, so your bump may get “lost” inside baggy or slouchy clothing, and we can’t see the form of your body.
Outfits that do this and look great in-studio photographs are:
- A form-fitted maternity dress, a body-con dress to show off the shape of your bump.
- Lingerie – alone or with an open-buttoned shirt or chunky knit sweater over the top – whichever makes you most comfortable.
- Jeans with a bandeau or cropped top – but not maternity jeans. Wear your pre-pregnancy jeans unbuttoned, which offers a significantly more attractive form than maternity jeans.
- Empire line flowy dresses.
- A bandeau top and flowing maxi skirt.
- Lace Dresses or robes – lace texture adds a unique touch to your photographs.
What Are The Best Colors To Wear For A Studio Maternity Photo Shoot?
For a maternity shoot, I always recommend keeping the color palette very simple. White, black, and cream are always classic and elegant choices that will never go out of style. They also tend to photograph really well with natural studio lighting.
If you’re looking for something a little bit different, though, you can always go for a pastel color. Light pink, blue, or green can look really beautiful in maternity photos.
In the studio it’s best to avoid tight patterns or anything that has words or pictures on it – these are distracting in photos and will date your pictures. Single blocks of color tend to have a much more timeless feel.
Just make sure that whichever color you choose, it’s something that you feel comfortable and confident in. At the end of the day, your maternity photos should be all about you and your baby – so make sure you wear something that makes you feel good!
Where To Shop For Maternity Photo Shoot Outfits?
There are so many fun places to shop for maternity photo shoot outfits!
If you’re looking for something timeless and classic, you can’t go wrong with a pretty maternity maxi dress. For a more bohemian vibe, try pairing a flowy tunic with some denim shorts or a skirt.
And if you want to show off your adorable baby bump in all its glory, a form-fitting maternity gown is always a stunning choice. No matter what style you choose, just make sure you feel comfortable and confident in your outfit—after all, this is your moment to shine!
But if you’re not sure where to shop for your maternity dresses, some good places to start are:
- Baltic Born (a lot of these dresses are great for pregnant women and still fit afterward, too!)
There are also lots of shops specializing in outfits for maternity photoshoots on Etsy. You can see a few examples here:
What About My Partner Or Older Children. What Should They Wear?
As you put your outfit together with your partner and/or children’s outfits, there are a few things to keep in mind:
Dress for the same occasion.
Dressing for the same occasion will bring your photographs together and make you look cohesive as a pair or group.
For example, if you’re wearing jeans and a bandeau top, your partner’s outfit will look in keeping with yours if they’re wearing something equally casual such as jeans and a plain shirt or t-shirt.
Choose Complementary Colors
Choosing complementary colors brings photographs together and makes sure that we see the people first and their clothes second.
When putting together your family’s color scheme, choose between one or two colors that run through it. Stick with the colors I mentioned earlier in this article – black, white, cream and denim.
Then make sure that everyone’s outfits are made up of these colors.
Finishing Touches & Tips
Pregnancy is a fantastic time in a woman’s life, and maternity photoshoots are the perfect way to capture the beauty of this special time.
However, many women worry about how they will look in maternity photos. Here are a few tips to help you look your best.
- First, choose a professional photographer you feel comfortable with and who has experience photographing pregnant women. This will help you relax and feel natural in front of the camera.
- Second, wear clothes that make you feel beautiful and accentuate your best features.
- Third, keep your skin hydrated and your hair styling simple to look refreshed and glowy in your maternity photos. With a bit of preparation, you can capture the gorgeousness of pregnancy in timeless maternity photos that you will treasure forever.
- Fourth, your hands (and those of your family) will be featured prominently in some of your photographs, so you may like to invest in a manicure and/or give your fingernails a quick check over before the shoot to remove any chipped nails or dirt.
I hope this blog post has given you some ideas on what to wear for your studio maternity session. Remember, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and beautiful in your outfit. So take some time to try out different looks and find something that makes you feel like a goddess!
My name is Ren Lenhof, and I cannot wait to see you at your maternity photo shoot! I love being a professional photographer because I capture so many beautiful pregnant women. Capturing a woman’s body and all your beautiful curves during this special time is truly an honor.
If you have any questions about what to wear for your maternity photoshoot or how to prepare for your session, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m always happy to help!
To book your maternity photo shoot, click here!
Why Should I Take Maternity Photos?
A maternity photo shoot is a great way to capture the beauty and miracle of pregnancy. Pregnancy is a special time in a woman’s life, and maternity photos are a wonderful way to document this amazing journey.
Maternity photos can be taken at any stage of pregnancy, and they can be as simple or as elaborate as you like. Whether you want to capture the glow of early pregnancy or the beautiful curves of the third trimester, maternity photos are a treasured way to remember this special time. In addition to being a beautiful way to commemorate your pregnancy, maternity photos are also a great way to show off your baby bump!
If you’re looking for a creative and unique way to announce your pregnancy, maternity photos are the perfect solution. So go ahead and schedule that maternity photoshoot – you’ll be glad you did!